Sunday, August 21, 2005

Halifax Eh?



I went to Halifax over the weekend and I must say I had a royal blast. I really missed my city. Leslie and I walked all over the city...something I haven't done in a good year anyway. Last time I took a lot of pictures was during the storm. Anyway Here we have me driving over the MacKay Bridge (Leslie took that picture lol), the black market after that...really cool place to visit...then it's the harbour hopper driving down Spring Garden Rd. Next is a building that Jenn and I once claimed as ours, and we refer to it as the blue building, then the chess tables at the public gardens, the actual front gate to the gardens, a very old tree, some cactus, and a part of the garden that I really liked.

The lobsters have landed! This year for a fundraiser Halifax Regional Municipality had business sponsor these lobsters all over the city. Check out the specs here. These are four of my favorites. I'm not sure who did the top one, but it's sort of musical and he's got a book for a mouth. The one I'm standing next to is under the Thirsty Duck, and he's a cyclopse chef. Then there's the Jimmy Hendrix fellow down the bottom and the CIBC run for the cure chick next to that.

Another personal favorite right here is Louise the Piping Hot Lobster, sponsored by Scotia Bank and residing on Hollis St. Think she'll get picked up on a friday night?

And here we have the public gardens, where I insisted we walk through before the sun went down. I had only been through twice before, all around the same time, and never with a camera. I have to say they did a really good job fixing it up since hurricane juan.

What trip to the gardens is complete without trying to make friends with the local ducks? These fella's really liked us...until they realized we didn't have any food! They stuck to swimming and trying to get food out of the pond after that.

Finally we went on a cruise across the harbour on the Halifax Metro Transit Ferry. I always love getting pictures of the city from the boat, this one didn't turn out too badly even though it's hard to catch the lights properly.

And on a sad note, my grandfather passed away Thursday night while I was enjoying my city. His and my grandmothers sixtieth anniversary is this week sometime...I take comfort in knowing they are together for this.

No comments: