Friday, June 03, 2005

And Suddenly It's Over

So I haven't written in this in forever, and a lot has happened since then. I finished intersession...to begin with.
I had a blast. When I first found out I was on 4B I wasn't happy because I'd had a lot of experience with that floor from the "other side"...driving in to feed my grandfather who didn't want any help. Driving in to sit with my grandmother while she died. Not things you look forward to doing. And let me say this: No matter how much you love your nursing job, it's hard to do. I was also worried because I had Willena who I didn't know very well and so wasn't sure if I'd like her. I was worried I'd have to be on my guard with her...watch what I say and all that.

Well I got to 4B and realized just how different it was to be on this side of things. Nursing is nursing no matter what floor you're on, and this one was no different. I got a lot of skills off, but the most important thing I learned was not out of a book. I learned how to comfort a man who was starting chemo, didn't know if it would work, and was very scared of dying. I was able to comfort a man who had alzheimer's disease, and did not remember where his wife went everyday, did not understand why she had to leave. I was able to listen to a mother talk about how the doctor asked her if she wanted to sign a DNR for her mentally handicapped daughter who had lymphoma, and from the treatment developed febrile neutropenia which is when your white blood count goes dangerously low causing an inability to fight infections. She also had a low platelet count which meant her blood would not clot as well, meaning they could not operate. Her port-a-cath was blocked and they could not go in to fix it. They almost had to give her an IV in the foot, which would limit her mobility and put her at more risks. Luckily there was a very caring nurse who worked there and made the doctor order an x ray to see that it was well placed and there was fluid running through even if there was no blood return.

I also learned that Willena is a sweetheart. I can't wait to have her again in fourth year. Oh...and I learned that giving IM injections is fun and not at all scary.

What an amazing experience. I can't wait to go back to school next year and do more clinical at the hospital.

No comments: